About the First Nations Award
Queensland Law Society is committed to achieving real and positive change in the lives of Australia’s First Nations people, in particular those who contribute to justice and the rule of law. The First Nations Awards aim to recognise the outstanding contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander practitioners who are committed to promoting justice within their community and beyond.
To be shortlisted for these prestigious awards by the Queensland Law Society is just immense, it’s an acknowledgment of the hard work that our small team have put in over the years and importantly it proves that you can do anything together.
Queensland First Nations Lawyer of the Year
Presented to an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander individual for outstanding achievements in the law and for pursuing justice outcomes in the legal profession for First Nations People in Queensland.
To be eligible for the award, the nominee must satisfy the following criteria:
Meet the usually accepted three ‘working criteria’ as proof or confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage. All of these things must apply:
Be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
• Identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
• Be accepted as such by the community in which you live, or formerly lived.
• Be eligible to hold a practising certificate
• Be a current full or associate member of the Queensland Law Society
• Have a demonstrated passion and commitment towards the advancement of First Nations people and communities in Queensland
• Have a demonstrated commitment in advocating for the rights of First Nations people and communities in Queensland within the legal environment
• Demonstrate a dedicated contribution to First Nations peoples and communities through the legal service e.g. including access to justice, committee participation, pro bono work, education
• Demonstrate a commitment to further professional development.
Find out more about the Awards
Contact us today!
We are here to help. Ask us about a consultation.